From Faces to Family

From Faces to Family

Why Heartland? That’s a good question and one that has many answers. It’s a question I was asking myself on March 18, 2015, during College Days at Heartland Baptist Bible College. It was a Wednesday night, and I was sitting in the balcony. That night was my first service at Southwest Baptist Church. I was a senior in high school, trying to figure out God’s will for my life. I flew out by myself from Virginia for College Days, and I had been in Oklahoma City less than six hours. Now, you’ve got to understand, my home town could fit on the ground floor of this auditorium, so, sitting up there in the balcony that night, I was nervous. 

Everything was so new to me. I still remember that first service. I remember the congregational singing and listening to the voices ring in the building. It was incredible. Bro. Mast had the choir sing “Jesus Saves.” Pastor Gaddis preached an awesome message. I remember thinking: “This is amazing.” 

The church was bigger than anywhere I had been in a long time. I remember looking out over the ground floor and just seeing people, and more people. It was like a sea of faces. I didn’t know anybody. God brought me to Heartland that fall and I became a member of Southwest Baptist Church. I began watching the members of Southwest, and I learned much about ministry. Many of those faces became mentors. I would like to introduce you to a few of them and share some of the lessons I learned. 

One of my mentors from freshmen year is the Director of Primary Church, Bro. Zack Hudson. Since this ministry involves working with first and second graders, half of the time he preaches and the other half he tries to make them sit still. That year, I learned the importance of patience and faithfulness from Bro. Zack because much of the seed he sows won’t bear fruit until several years down the road. But someone has to lay a foundation. I learned the importance of faithfulness — even when there may be little fruit to show, and you wonder if the kids are even listening.  

I joined bus my Sophomore year and got to know Brian Moseley. Brian Moseley is the bookstore manager at Heartland, but he is also the captain of Bus 6. While we were on the route, Bro. Moseley would always run to the door so the bus wouldn’t be late coming to church. When I offered to give him a break and be the runner, he said no. He wanted the parents of the bus kids to see a consistent face every Sunday. I learned the importance of consistency — even in the little things that no one may ever see. 

I love the consistency between Southwest and Heartland because they are unified and connected with each other. A student hears about ministry at Heartland, and then they see it at Southwest. On Tuesday, a student may listen to Greg Smith teach Children’s Ministries. On Sunday, you can watch him preach in Super Church. Seth Bailey, the youth pastor, teaches youth classes at Heartland. David Pirkle, the outreach director, teaches Personal Evangelism. The teachers live what they teach, and the students get to see that at Southwest. Southwest lives what Heartland teaches. 

Junior year, God put Kevin Culver in my life. Kevin Culver is the church mechanic and has been my boss for a couple of years. I remember one cold winter day, over a year ago, Bro. Kevin had a lot to do that day, and I could tell he was a little stressed. A man came by and started working on his car outside the shop and he needed help. A little while later, I saw Bro. Kevin, outside in the cold, helping him. I learned that day that ministry is not a to-do list, the ministry is people. I think lessons like that are the most powerful when they are lived; not just taught. 

My testimony would not be complete without mentioning my adopted mother, Anna Williams. She has shown me what a godly wife and mother looks like. Almost every Sunday during my time here, she has prepared a home-cooked meal for a bunch of hungry college guys. I have learned what it means to love sacrificially. Their family has become a home away from home. The kids will run up and give me a hug when they see me. I’m nobody special–this is just one example of the love that Southwest has for the students that God brings to them. 

Southwest loves the students of Heartland. I am so grateful for the investment of Southwest Baptist Church in my life. They have been a wonderful example. I can honestly tell you that it has changed my life. I love this church. I feel like Paul when he wrote in Hebrews 11:32, at the end of the hall of faith: “And what shall I more say? For the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson…” Time fails me today to tell of the Wright family, and the Owen family; the Painters, the Lees, the Logues, and the Trimbles. I could literally go on and on. There are so many examples I’m leaving out. Four years ago, from the balcony, I saw faces — now…I see a family.